Pages

Aug 3, 2010

Serving with Joy and Ease


There was a great example in the book Raising Maidens of Virute about a family who takes a journey's to spend the night at another families home and how the family shows them hospitality and makes them feel so welcome.



We talked about some of the things this family did: Smells, Music, Sharing, Food, Cleaning, Extra Special Touches, Offering to serve them, etc.


The we talked about what the girls can do to be more like this in their families.


Heritage Notebook Quote



Greatness is not found in possessions, power, position, or prestige. It is discovered in goodness, humility, service and character.
William Arthur Ward



I will: (the girls each made a list or a goal of things they would like to do to improve their service to others...their hospitality to others, especially their family)




We talked about how Christ gave service and how Christ was hospitible...he feed the 5000, he washed his disciples feet, he welcomed others to join him, he took time for children. He gave all of himself to others.


Heritage Notebook Quote:
...Cheerfulness will not only carry you over the rough places in life, but will enable you to bring comfort and help to the weak-hearted and will console you in the sad hours.
William Osler



I can: (the girls each made a list or a goal of something that they would like to do to give service to others, like the Savior would)



Hospitality means generously providing care and kindness to whoever is in need
Service is a commonly used term to denote a service which is performed without any expectation of result or award for the person performing it.


What I learned:


I was talking with my kids about this after I read it with my daughter. Did this family just wakeup one morning and decide they were going to give hospitality to others? Did this mom just threaten her kids that they better behave when company was over---or else!? Or did this family just live this way all the time, even when it was just family?


I tend to think it was the latter. If we have good manners in our family, we will have good manners when others come for dinner. If we treat or families in a hospitible way, giving service, taking care of each others needs, putting others before ourselves, then we will naturally do the same with others. If we strive to always have a clean, nice smelling home with soft music playing and delicious smelling cookies in the oven then others will feel this welcome when they visit. It will be serving with Joy and Ease because that will be the way we live.


I do not live this way. I don't make cookies because then I would eat them, I have a hard time keeping up with all the cleaning because there are so many other more enjoyable things to do than scour that bathroom. I have a hard time working on good manners because sometimes that feels like one more thing to give a lecture about. BUT I have really learned this week that I would like to have a family like the one described in the book. I would like to go to my children's home when they are grown and feel the hospitality they give to their children and family and friends. How will they learn unless I set a good example. Luckily I still have time to try harder :)


I also shared with the girls about a time in my life when I was 20 and working as an accountant for a mortgage company. Some of my co-workers were not LDS. One day a friend and I were talking with a young man that had just began working for the company. He asked my friend if she was a "mormon". My friend said yes, and he asked a few questions about the church. Then my friend was teasing him and asked why he didn't ask me if I was "mormon." He said because she screams mormon. My first thought was to be offended....What? I never scream. But then I realized that he could not give me a better compliment. He did not need to ask my what my religion was because he already knew. He knew by the way I lived my life, by my actions and by my words.


This is the way I should live in my family. When others see my family I would like them to know that we are LDS, that we are Christians, that we believe in Jesus Christ and try to live our lives accordingly. I want my family to scream "mormon" because we do and say and show that we believe. It was a good reminder to talk to my kids about what we can do to be more that way. It was fun to have a discussion with these sweet girls about what they can do to be an example of Christ at all times, and in all things, and in all places. Those are not just words, those are beliefs and a way to live our lives each and every day. To serve God and others with Joy and Ease.


Recipe's
Homemade Noodles
2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon cold water
1 tablespoon canola oil
Directions
Place 2 cups flour and salt on a pastry board or in a deep bowl. Make a well in a center of the flour; add eggs and water. Gradually mix with hands or a wooden spoon until well blended.
Gather into a ball and knead on a floured surface until smooth, about 10 minutes. If necessary, add remaining flour to keep dough from sticking to surface or hands. Divide the dough into thirds. On a lightly floured surface, roll each section into a paper-thin rectangle. Dust top of dough with flour to prevent sticking while rolling. Trim the edges and flour both sides of dough.
Roll dough, jelly-roll style. Using a sharp knife, cut 1/4-in. slices. Unroll noodles and allow to dry on paper towels before cooking.
To cook, bring salted water to a rapid boil. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the water; drop noodles into water and cook until tender but not soft, about 7-10 minutes. Yield: 10 servings.


Homemade Sauces....Fettuchini


1/2 c real butter


1 pint (2 cups / 16 fl. oz.) heavy whipping cream


1 tsp. garlic powdersalt and pepper - to taste


1 dash cayenne pepper


2/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan OR Romano cheese


-In a 2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter; add cream, garlic powder, and salt and peppers; simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick.-Remove sauce from heat and stir in cheese. Do not heat sauce after cheese has been added.-Serve sauce over hot fettuccine noodles and sprinkle with parsley, if desired.



Marinara
3T olive oil


3 c chopped onion


1T sugar


3T minced garlic (about 6 cloves)


2 tsp salt


2 tsp dried basil


1-1/2 tsp dried oregano


1 tsp dried thyme


2T balsamic vinegar


2 c chicken broth


6-10 crushed tomatoes
Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, cook 4 minutes stirring frequently. Add sugar and next 6 ingredients (through thyme), cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in vinegar, cook 30 seconds. Add broth and tomatoes, bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat 50-60 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.
Yield: about 12 cups sauce





No comments:

Post a Comment