Pages

Apr 12, 2010

Caucus

At my Freedom Project Class we were discussing what we can do to get involved in our communities. Our great mentor suggested that we attend our caucus meetings and try to get elected. A few weeks later the Bishop read over the pulpit a letter to the members asking them to be involved and go to their caucus meetings..well, that clenched it for me.

That morning as I was finishing my morning prayers the spirit whispered that I should probably prepare a few words to say incase I had to give a speech. My bishop nominated me and so I did give a speech. A few, very few really, have asked me to write it down and send it to them so here it is.

I have lots of things that I can think of to say tonight, but I'd like to tell you some of the things that I love about America, and I would like to take them from the pledge of allegience. I love living in a country that is Under God. A country where I can choose to worship how when and why I choose and that my neighbor who is of a different faith than I am can choose to worship how when and why he chooses. I love living in a country that believes in Liberty; that allows groups like this one where we are free to gather, free to express our opinions. I am glad to live in a country where we have the liberty and freedom to get an education and to persue employment. And I am glad to live in a country that believes in Justice for all...for men and women, for rich and poor, for old and young. A country that believes that all men are created equal under God.


But I am concerned, it is the reason why I am hear tonight. I am concerned by the things I see happening in our country. I am concerned when I recently attended a City Council Meeting and found the city council refusing to listen to the people...asking them for permission to have chickens. I am concerned when I see myself and others loosing the freedom to do things on their own property. I am concerned when I see Public Servants who have forgotten that they are just that...public servants instead of serving their own interest. I am concerned when Public Servants do things for profit, for politics, or for personal reasons.

I would like to represent Legistlative District __ and you in seeking justice and liberty for all under God. Thank You

It really wasn't that great of a speech, but I was passionate :) and I did believe all the things I said. But boy, was I nervous :)

1 comment:

  1. You are so brave and cool!! I'm not ready to tackle politics yet. I guess I'm too busy having babies. Some day!

    ReplyDelete